Eth0:2012 Winter/GSM hacking
We already know for a while that GSM is insecure, that it's possible to sniff with inexpensive hardware and that operators don't care. It's also possible to run a completely open source GSM base station using OpenBTS and not-so expensive hardware. Time to start playing with GSM!
Dekkers will bring the following hardware for playing with GSM to eth0:
- USRP B100 with RFX1800 daughterboard.
- I've already managed to get OpenBTS running and do voice calls (using the DECT guard band that doesn't need a permit), but the range for doing voice calls without duplexer/amplifier/etc. is about 2 metres.
- A motorola C115 and a C118
- A Sysmocom USB serial cable (CP2102) 
- 2 TB hard disk with partially downloaded A5/1 rainbow tables
The RFX1800 also supports the DECT band, so it might also be possible to play with DECT. I'm currently looking into what other hardware is needed to get a decent coverage with OpenBTS, the biggest problem is sending/receiving crosstalk. As far as I understand a duplexer and low-noise amplifier will give a bigger range, but I don't have a background in RF engineering and still learning a lot of things about RF. References:   
DrWhax will bring an motorola c115 and usb <-> serial cable. (hopefully I got all this shipped before saturday.)
We need a computer/laptop with 2 e-SATA ports to make backups of files which are spread across 3 hard disks. Vicarious 14:25, 14 January 2012 (CET)